This curry tastes hot and sour and goes well with any kind of roti or rice.
- Potatoes – 5
- Dried red chillies – 4
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Garlic – 4 cloves
- Thick tamarind juice – 3tsp
- Tomato puree(paste) – 2tsp
- Curry leaves – 4
- Salt to taste
- Sugar – 1tsp
- Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
- Coriander(cilantro)sprig to garnish
- Peel and cut the potatoes into cube size pieces or u can even use baby potatoes(whole).
- Boil the potatoes until they are fully cooked,ensuring they do not break.Drain well.
- Soak the chillies for 5 minutes in warm water.Drain and grind with the cumin seeds and garlic to a coarse paste .
- Heat the oil in a frying pan.Fry the ground paste ,tamarind juice,tomato puree,curry leaves,salt,sugar and asafoetida until the oil separates.
- Add the potatoes.Reduce the heat,cover and simmer for about 5 minutes.Garnish with coriander leaves .
- Goes well with any kind of roti.
To test ,the potatoes,insert a thin sharp knife into the potatoes.It should come out clean when the potatoes are fully cooked.