Bottlegourd is a vegetable most of the Indians are familiar with and can be cooked in a variety of ways as a curry, sambar, dals.etc.This cooked with sesame seeds powder is my all time favourite.This is a simple yet delicious curry all Andhras are fond of.
- Bottle gourd – 1(medium)
- Green chillies – 3(optional)
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 2tsp
- Sesame seeds – 1cup
- Red Chillies – 5
- Chana dal – 1tsp
- Urad dal – 1tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2tsp
- Hing – pinch
- Cumin seeds – 1/4tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Peel and cut the bottlegourd into small pieces and boil them in pot of water.
- Meanwhile dry fry the sesame seeds and red chillies.Let them cool and grind them into a powder.
- Heat oil in a pan,add the tempering ingredients ,after the mustard starts spluttering add the boiled bottlegourd pieces ,green chillies ,salt and cook for 10min.
- To this add 2tsp of ground sesame seeds powder and mix well and cook for another 5min.
- This tastes good with rice or chapathis.
Do not pressure cook the bottlegourd pieces as they become too soft and mushy.