Kakarkayalu called Bitter gourd in english as the name suggests is bitter and needs a lot of cleaning before it is cooked to reduce the bitterness. Generally i scrape off the skin for stuffed curry or for pulusu( it takes time but its worth doing it) but for this fry no hazzle of much cleaning to do.
- Kakarkayalu – 5 (Fresh) or Frozen(1 pack)
- Mustard seeds- 1tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Turmeric – 1tsp
- Salt to taste
- Sambar powder – 1tsp
- Chilli powder – 1tsp
- Garlic powder – 1tsp(U can use garlic cloves too)
- Oil – 4tsp
- Cut the Kakarkayalu into round circles,remove the seeds( or if u use the frozen ones, wash them in warm water,squeeze the water from them)add turmeric and mix well.
- In a skillet heat oil, add mustard seeds , curry leaves , kakarkayalu,salt and fry stirring in between till they are soft and cooked.
- To this add garlic powder, sambhar powder ,chilli powder and fry for another 5min till they are nice and crispy.
- Tastes good as a side dish and also with rice.