Bengalgram -coconut curry also called senagapappu kobbari kura is a simple and easy curry to make when u are bored of cooking the regular vegetables .This goes well with rice and hardly takes 15min to prepare.
- Bengal gram – 1cup
- Turmeric powder(optional) -1/2tsp
- Fresh grated coconut -1cup
- Salt to taste
For Seasoning :
- Oil – 1tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2tsp
- Red chilis broken into bits -2 to 3
- Curry leaves – few
- Wash and pressure cook or boil bengal gram in 1 cup water. Drain the excess water if any. Do not through away the water, it can be used in the preparation of rasam or sambar.
- Heat oil in a wok and add the seasoning ingredients. Add bengal gram and salt. Mix, cover the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes on a low flame. Add grated coconut. If required sprinkle some water.
Cook stirring for one more time and switch off the flame. Serve hot with rice or chapati.
Add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice to the curry if u wish to.
Can be prepared with onions too.Saute onions before adding bengal gram.
A pinch of asafoetida can be added to the seasoning, when preparing without onions.