Almost all vegetables(mango,cucumber,tomato,spinach) can be cooked with toor dal.Here i have tried the dal with beerakaya/ridge gourd the same way as other dals . It came out really well.
- Toor dal – 1cup
- Beerakayalu – 2
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 1
- Cumin – 1tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1tsp
- Garlic – 2pods
- Turmeric – 1tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Oil – 2tsp
- Romove the skin from the beerakaya or Ridge gourd and cut into small pieces.
- Cook the beerkaya pieces along with dal with a pinch of turmeric,onion and tomato pieces with a cup of water in pressure cooker .
- In a pan heat oil add cumin ,mustard,chopped green chilies,garlic and curry leaves.
- Add the cooked dal with the vegetables and salt to the pan.
- Let them cook for 10 more min.You can add some water while cooking.
- This dal goes well with rice.
You can add a pinch of asafoetida while seasoning instead of garlic.