Snake gourd/Potlakaya is another indian gourd variety with which u can make yummy dishes like potlakaya yoghurt chutney , sambar, curry.
Snake gourd/Potlakaya – 2 sliced thin
- Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
- Urad Dal – 1 tsp
- Red Chillies – 5
- Sambar Powder – 1 tsp [optional]
- Onion (medium size) – 1 chopped
- Curry leaves few
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Shredded coconut – 1 tsp [optional]
- Wash gourd and peel/scrape the outer skin with a knife. Cut lengthwise to scoop out seeds [they are not edible] or u can use the frozen ones too.
- Heat oil in a pan and put mustard seeds and let it crackle. Add urad dal, curry leaves, red chilles, onion in the same order and saute it till it turns light golden brown in color.
- Add sliced gourd pieces, salt, sambar powder and mix everything; close the pan with a lid and let it cook in low-medium heat. You can add some shredded coconut now at the end.
- It is a good side dish for rice or any kind of indian bread.
Note: When I cook it with slow heat I don’t add water. When you mix it with salt, gourd pieces yields enough water to cook it.