- Basmati Rice – 4cups
- Oil – 3 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Carrots – 1cup
- Potatoes – 1cup
- Green peas – 1cup
- Onion – 1 no
- Cauliflower florets – 1cup
- French beans – 1cup
- Green chillies – 4
Cloves – 3
- Bay leaves – 2
- Cashew nuts – 1/2cup
- Poppy seeds – 4tsp
- Ginger -1″ piece
- Garlic – 3pods
- Wash and soak the rice,before u start with the vegetables,this makes the rice nice and fluffy and makes the rice cook faster.
- Chop onion and other vegetables.
- Grind the greenchillies,poppyseeds along with ginger and garlic into a smoothe paste.
- Heat oil in a wide saucepan add the remaining spices and onions and saute.
- After the onions are done add the remaining vegetables ,the above ground spices and salt ,cover the sauce pan and cook for 10mins.
- Drain and add the soaked rice and mix till the rice and vegetables blend well.
- Transfer the whole to a electric cooker and add water for the rice and vegetables.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with Raita or any north indian gravy.
- Any combination of vegetables and spices can be tried. Adding cashews and raisins will make the pulao rich and definitely tasty😉.
- If using a pressure cooker, the whole procedure can be done in the cooker pan and water can be added once the rice and vegetables mix well.
- Instead of oil, you can use equal measures of ghee and oil. This gives a mild, comforting taste. Ghee can be added to the cooker along with the water.