Brinjals/eggplants are cooked in a variety of ways in India. This curry also called vankaya batani is a simple curry cooked with any kind of eggplants(purple or green ones ) and peas.
- Purple long brinjals – 4(medium)
- Peas – 1cup(fresh or frozen)
- Onion – 1
- Mustard seeds – 1tsp
- Urad dal – 1tsp
- Turmeric – 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 2tsp
- Wash and cut the brinjals into cubes.
- Heat oil in a pan add urad dal,mustard seeds and curry leaves.After the mustard starts spluttering add brinjal pieces ,chopped onion,turmeric powder, salt & cook on a medium heat for 10 min.
- To this add peas , chillipowder and cook till the brinjals are soft.
- This curry goes well with rice.