Aloo dum is another vegetarian delight cooked with potatoes in masala sauce.This curry tastes good with any kind of indian bread(chapathis,rotis).
- Red Potatoes – 6(small)
- Ripe tomatoes – 4(medium)
- Red Onion – 1(medium)
- Chopped Coriander leaves – 1/4cup
- Ginger – 1″ piece
- Garlic cloves – 2
- Cashews – 1/2 cup
- Fresh grated cocnut – 1/4cup
- Salt to taste
For dry masala:
- Red chillies – 4
- Coriander seeds &cumin – 1tsp
- Cinnamon stick and cloves -2(small)
- Oil – 2tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1tsp
- Curry leaves – few
- Turmeric – 1/2tsp
The preparation is 3 steps —- boil,roast-saute-grind and cook.
- Boil ,peel and cut the potatoes into 4halves ,prick them with a fork in multiple sites and keep them aside.
- Roast dry masala ingredients,cashews,grated coconut,ginger and garlic for few minutes and let them cool for a while.
- Next heat one tsp of oil and saute onions and tomatoes till soft.
- Now grind the onions and tomatoes along with the above roasted ingredients by adding half glass of water and half tsp of salt into a smooth paste in a blender.
- Finally heat 1tsp of oil in wide pan add the seasoning ingredients(mustard,cumin and curry leaves)after the mustard seeds starts spluttering,add the grinded masala paste,boiled potatoes,turmeric,salt & half glass of water and cook for 15 to 2o min.
- If u want, u can also stir in cream/yogurt at the end.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves before serving.
- Goes well with any kind of roti(indian bread).