Poha Upma, also called Atukulu Upma in Telugu or Aval upma in Tamil is an easy simple dish that is usually made for breakfast. It is a staple breakfast item in Maharashtra and Northern Karnataka. It is easy to make and is normally served with Sev sprinkled on top.
- Thin Poha/Rice flakes – 2cups
- Onion – 1/2 cup(finely chopped)
- Green chillies – 2(finely chopped)
- Turmeric powder – pinch
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice – 1tsp
- Chana dal – 1/4tsp
- Urad dal – 1/4tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/4tsp
- Curry leaves – 4
- Dry Red chillies – 1
- Groundnuts – 1tsp
- Oil – 2tsp
- Rinse poha in water and leave it in drainer for about 5 to 7 minutes.
- In a pan heat the oil. Add all the seasoning ingredients and fry for 3 minutes.
- Then add the chopped onions, green chillies and saute until golden brown.
- Add turmeric powder and salt and mix.
- Lastly, add the soaked poha and mix well. Keep on low heat for about 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat add the lemon juice and garnish with chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
- Tastes good when eaten hot and fresh.