Spinach (also called Palak in India) cooked like this with toor dal or split green gram ( Moong Dal ) is iron-rich and healthy.
- Spinach – half bunch
- Toor dal – 1 cup
- Green chillies – 4
- Tomatoes – 2 medium size
- Tamarind about the size of lime
- Turmeric -1/4tsp
- Salt to taste
- Curry leaves -4
- Dry red chillies -2
- Cumin seeds1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1tsp
- Garlic – 2cloves or Hing – a little
- Oil -2tsp
- Soak tamarind in warm water and squeeze out the pulp.
- In a pan fry the toor dal with a tsp of oil till u get the nice aroma of dal.
- Then cook toor dal, green chillies, turmeric and spinach (palakura) and tomato with sufficient amount of water in a pressure cooker for 3 whistles.
- After the cooker is cooled off,mash the dal adding tamarind pulp and salt in it.
- Heat oil in a skillet, add mustard seeds, cumin, curry leaves, mashed garlic cloves, red chillies. Add the seasoning to Spinach Dal (Palakura Pappu) and cook for 3-4 minutes.Serve hot with steamed rice and a spoon of desi ghee.
*U can use fenugreek(methi)leaves or any other green leafy vegetables instead of spinach and cook with the toor dal or moong dal(pesarapappu) the same method as above.