A great starter or a cold appetizer ,Dahi vada is a famous north indian dish and is famous in south india too on special occasions ,it can be eaten as a snack also!
- urad dal – 2cups
- Curds/Plain yoghurt- 4 cups
- Green chillies – 5
- Salt as required
- Oil for deep frying
- Urad dal – 1tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1tsp
- Jeera – 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilli pieces – few
- Curry leaves – few
- Turmeric powder – pinch
- Soak urad dal for 6hrs.
- Grind into a smooth batter adding minimum water required.Add chopped green chillies and ginger along with salt to the batter.
- Heat oil in a pan. Take a small piece of batter and flatten it with your palms on a plastic sheet(and put a small hole in the middle if u like).
- Drop this into oil and fry till golden brown.
- Take this and drain them on a paper towel to remove any excess oil.
- Meanwhile churn the curds and add the seasoning to this.Also add salt according to your taste if required to the curds.
- Add the vadas to the seasoned curds.
- Allow it to soak for atleast 2 hours and serve.