The idli is a most common and tasty fastfood available everywhere in India, especially in the states that make up South India, the idli’s native region: Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh and Kerala. Sri Lankan Tamils also have a traditional preference towards idli.
Idli Rava – 2 cups(parboiled rice -2cups)
Urad Dal – 1 cup
Salt to taste
- Soak both the idli rava and urad dal separately for almost 7-8 hrs in lukewarm water.
- Grind urad dal using very little water into a fine paste.
- Remove water from the rava (squeeze out the water) and add it to the urad dal batter.If you are using paraboiled rice grind the rice coarsely, consistency should be rava type.
- Mix the idli batter and rava properly and keep aside.
- The next day morning take idli batter and add salt to it.
- Take the idli plates, apply ghee on the molds and pour the batter in each mold. Keep the idli stand in a cooker for 15-20 mts.
- Remove them and serve hot with sambar or chutney.